The first time you come into our office you will be given a very comprehensive dental examination so that we can really get to know you and the state of your oral health. When you come into our office after your first visit you can expect the following procedures:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): these are essential for detecting things like tooth decay, cysts, root positions, tumors and bone loss
- Oral cancer screening: We will check multiple places for any signs of oral cancer including the tongue, throat, tissues, gums, neck, face and lips to be absolutely sure of your health and cancer possibilities.
- Gum disease evaluation: what we’ll do is check all over the bone and gums around your teeth for any signals of periodontal diseases
- Examination of tooth decay: we’ll use special dental instruments to make sure that all of the surfaces of your teeth are safe from decay
- Examination of existing restorations: this means we’ll simply check out anything like fillings, crowns, or anything that you’ve already received prior to visiting us
Professional Dental Cleaning
This service and all forms of professional dental cleaning is typically performed by one of our Registered Dental Hygienists, and when you get a cleaning appointment your appointment will include a regular dental exam and the following procedures:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): What calculus technically is pertains to the plague that is hardened and has been left on your teeth for a significant amount of time and eventually became firmly a part of the tooth’s surface. This can form just about anywhere in terms of the gum line, which is something that can typically through professional dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is the very sticky and very hard to see substance that tends to form on teeth rather easily. It technically is a colony of things like bacteria, saliva, food and other debris that over time produces toxins that inflame your gums. This type of inflammation is something that leads to dental diseases and is something we take care of with every patient visit as best as we can.
- Teeth polishing: This is where we pretty much remove everything that wasn’t already removed during our tooth brushing and scaling procedures during the appointment and helps you get the pearly white smile when you leave our office.